Monday, January 27, 2014

Show Me How Big Your Brave Is

Good morning, PR dolls! Today's post is part real-world lesson, part standard Aysha pep talk. Get ready.

I started a new internship last week doing marketing/PR for the business school at my university. I did a similar internship at the same business school last year, so it isn't my first time around this rodeo. Spoiler alert: I love it. Its not just the fact that I have the most inspiring supervisors/mentors within earshot or that I have a group of talented, driven fellow interns. Its the fact that at this internship I feel comfortable and confident enough to express my thoughts and ideas, no matter how insane they seem.

Last year during my internship, I worked on planning a major event that the school hosts every spring. I was in meetings with people who have started their own businesses, have established themselves in the world and have so much experience in event planning, marketing, PR, etc. Not going to lie, its intimidating. It took me a few rounds of meetings to basically break out of my shell and bring up an idea for a social media blitz. I toyed with even bringing it up but the second I did, I felt something in the room change. They could have hated the idea but I took the first step by stepping up, even as an intern. From that point on, I expressed my thoughts, ideas and opinions professionally, but freely. From that, I actually joined the conversation instead of merely being on the sidelines. Of course, not all of my ideas were winners. However I can honestly say that I learned something after every meeting, whether it was a suggestion from someone on the board or just an internal lesson.


No matter where you are or what you're doing, I dare you to be brave. Speak up. Forget your ego or insecurities or whatever else is hindering you from growing, experiencing and learning. Take that chance and get yourself in the game. Be brave, be bold.

We want to see you be braaaaave!
Have you ever had one of those crazy brave moments? How did it work out? Tweet me at @LBDPR!

Have a fabulous, fierce Monday!

xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment