Monday, January 6, 2014

The First Monday of 2014

Hello, PR dolls! HAPPY 2014!!! New Year's Eve is probably my favorite holiday in the year- its a time for celebration, reflection and, my personal favorite, re-invention. Duh. #PRProblems


One special tradition about New Year's Eve is setting resolutions. People set goals for themselves about all types of things such as health/lifestyle changes, love/relationships, and career dreams to name a few. These resolutions sound beautiful when said on December 31st (or tweeted/posted as a Facebook status to declare them to the world...) but I find that they usually fall to the wayside around January 15th. Not saying this happens for everyone, but it does happen to the majority of us, myself included!



This year, I've been thinking of how I can make my own resolutions really stick. For this mission, I have two steps:

1) Treat yourself as your own PR client. 
Any PR professional knows to mind their personal brand (thank you, Aliza Licht!) What you do, how you act- all of that contributes to your brand. I think its just as important to treat yourself as a new client each year. What do you do with new clients? The first meeting- the consultation.
At my initial meetings with a prospective client, I sit down with them and discuss their brand, and their goals. The goals are important because they should not be just a simple one-liner or reciting of the organization's mission statement. You should identify short-term goals as well as long term goals. This allows you to not only see the bigger picture, but the entire canvas all-together.
Now, back to New Year's. While setting your resolutions, I believe one should have their short-term goals and their long-term goals. Think about what you are saying- will that goal help you in the long-run? Why is it important for you and your brand? Should you achieve this goal (and you will!) what is the next step? I think this internal planning will not only help you set realistic and productive goals, but will also help you remember why you set the resolution in the first place when times get tough.

2) Set a theme. 
This one will either be a love-it or hate-it idea. After I've set all of my goals and resolutions, I like to set a theme for the new year. The theme incorporates all of the ideas and goals I've set for myself- its just a easier way to sum them up. It is basically the way I market the goals to myself when I need that boost. 


For this year, my theme is "The Hustle." This doesn't really have anything to do with the movie American Hustle or the disco song from the 70s, I promise. 2014 is going to be one of the most important years of my life. I'm graduating from college, probably moving somewhere completely new and really starting my life as a PR girl. I've basically dreamt of this year since I was a kid. This is when it all begins!
Of course, all of these dreams are lovely but they won't happen without hard work, complete dedication and passion. This is what I'm referring to when I say "The Hustle"- its the work, the fire, the progress.



Your theme doesn't have to make sense to anyone but yourself. If it fires you up, you've got your theme.

I would love to hear all about your resolution, goals and themes. Tweet them to me at @LBDPR!

2014, let's hustle.

xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment